In the 2009 Disney/Pixar cartoon movie UP, Dug the dog is easily distracted from whatever was going on at that moment by someone exclaiming, “SQUIRREL!” The Daily Show with John Steward used this movie reference as a metaphor as to how the media is easily distracted by the next scoop. Even today, people will exclaim Squirrel to redirect the conversation.
This also happens throughout the day, we get easily distracted, with or without hearing Squirrel. Consider the following line of thought.
Integrity + Service + Excellence =
Finish what you start + do what you say you will do =
Reputation + competence + (as I’m thing this there are two gray squirrels climbing up the rock maple and jumping across into the apple tree, then chasing each other the back, forth, up, down & around – where was i?) confidence.
This is a time management issue that reminds of this quote posted on Facebook (another black hole of time if there ever was one) this morning.
IF you love life, then don’t waste time for time is what life is made of. ~Bruce Lee~
So, that all being said, here are a few tips to not waste the time that life is made of.
- Maintain a reasonable list for the day, week & month
- Allow time for appropriate intrusions. In HR, job tasks walk in the door and must be dealt with, redirected, or coached.
- Juliet Funt’s Whitespace is mandatory, put it on the list.
- Focused concentration is the foundation for getting through each day without having to go home with this regretful wonder, “What did I get done today?“
WhiteSpace is improvised or scheduled time and thought for which we have no predetermined agenda or plan. It is open, uncommitted time during which our thoughts can be fluid, flexible, and free-form. It is the time during which strategic thinking occurs, creativity soars and focus returns. – See more at: http://www.julietfunt.com/whitespace
That is all for today. My list for today includes:
- WickedGoodHR.com blog post
- Shopping: Groceries, kitty litter (don’t have a cat, its for #5), printer cartridge
- Transpass vehicle transfer
- 2014 calendar management
- Start tidying up wood shop for winter project.
- Take a walk
What’s on your list?
How do you manage the time of your life?